Probing the Depths
Ignatian Lessons and Meditations
Arranged According to the Liturgical Year
Do you know how to pray? Do you know how to discern the will of God? How do you best fulfill the mission of your life and give God the greatest glory? These are among the most foundational questions in life. One of the best ways to answer each one of these questions is through the spiritual teachings of Saint Ignatius of Loyola.
Probing the Depths is a three-part book that presents the spiritual wisdom and lessons set forth by Saint Ignatius in The Spiritual Exercises. The content is presented in such a way that you can incorporate it into your daily life.
Part One presents a brief introduction to the life of Saint Ignatius of Loyola, an overview of The Spiritual Exercises, and an overview of ten lessons taught by Saint Ignatius in The Spiritual Exercises.
Part Two contains sixty-nine guided meditations on the topics Saint Ignatius recommends for his 30-day retreat. These meditations were written using the methods of meditation, contemplation and application of the senses that are taught by Saint Ignatius and are ideally used during a holy hour of adoration or in your quiet prayer time each day.
Part Three provides additional prayer material for use throughout the year.
Read online for free using the links below! Also available in Paperback and eBook format.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Chapter One: The Life of Saint Ignatius of Loyola
- Chapter Two: Overview of The Spiritual Exercises
- Chapter Three: Mental Prayer
- Chapter Four: Examining Your Conscience
- Chapter Five: Discernment of Spirits—Part One
- Chapter Six: Discernment of Spirits—Part Two
- Chapter Seven: The Daily General Examen
- Chapter Eight: Rules for the Distribution of Alms
- Chapter Nine: Some Notes Concerning Scruples
- Chapter Ten: Rules for Thinking with the Church
- Chapter Eleven: Discerning the Will of God
- Chapter Twelve: Three Additional Methods of Prayer
- Introduction to Part Two
- Foundational Meditations
- Meditations for Advent
- Meditations for the Christmas Season
- Meditations for Ordinary Time
- Meditations for Lent
- Meditations for the Easter Season
- Introduction to Part Three
- Format for Holy Hours
- Examination of Conscience: Seven Capital Sins
- Examination of Conscience: Ten Commandments
- Weekly Examen for Holy Hour
- Examination of Conscience: Faith, Hope & Charity
- Short Examination of Conscience: Faith, Hope & Charity
- Daily Prayers
- Morning Prayers
- Afternoon Prayer
- Daily General Examen at Night
Available in paperback and eBook:
Online: The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius of Loyola – Fr. Elder Mullan S.J., translation