Scripture Reading: Prayerfully read some or all of the following passages:
Context: Three times Pilate told the Jewish authorities and the angry crowd that he found Jesus “not guilty.” And three times they called out all the louder for Jesus to be crucified. Pilate’s last attempt included him having Jesus scourged and mocked. Jesus was then brought out before the people as Pilate sat in his judgment seat. Symbolically, Pilate washed his hands of Jesus’ death and gave the order for Jesus to be crucified.
Both Herod and Pilate found Jesus not guilty. Both of them mocked and abused Jesus. The crowds cry out for His blood, and their hatred succeeds.
Reflection: Ponder the scene prayerfully using the following points if useful.
- Consider the context by recalling the series of events that led to this moment. Start with Palm Sunday when Jesus was welcomed into Jerusalem with shouts of “Hosanna!” Recall the Last Supper, the Agony in the Garden, the arrest, the abuse, and the trials by Annas, Caiaphas, Pilate, Herod and then Pilate again.
- Reflect, again, upon the interior turmoil of this decision by Pilate and his futile attempts to let Jesus go free.
- Ponder, further, Jesus’ silence in the face of this great injustice. Though He could instantly call on the host of angelic forces to defend His earthly life, Jesus accepts this injustice.
- Take a moment to place yourself there at this moment as one of His faithful followers. You see things going from bad to worse. Try to experience the sitation.
- Imagine seeing Pilate’s final attempt to satisfy the bloodthirsty crowd as he orders Jesus to be scourged. Ponder His scourging in detail.
- See Jesus crowned with thorns as the soldiers laugh and mock Him. See this hatred and see the pure love in the heart of our Lord.
- Lastly, spend time pondering Jesus standing next to Pilate. Beaten and bloody, crowned with thorns, clothed in a purple garment, chained, etc. Ponder the final decision of Pilate as he orders His crucifixion.
- Life Decisions and Resolutions
- Palm Sunday
- Leading up to Holy Thursday
- Last Supper
- Agony in the Garden
- Jesus is Arrested and Brought Before Annas
- Jesus is Brought Before Caiaphas
- Jesus is Brought Before Pilate
- Jesus is Brought Before Herod
- Second Trial by Pilate
- Jesus Carries His Cross and is Crucified
- Jesus Speaks From the Cross
- Jesus Dies on the Cross
- Jesus’ Body in the Arms of His Mother
- Jesus is Buried
- Holy Saturday