Scripture Reading: Matthew 26:17–30; John 13:1–30
Context: The Last Supper especially offers three focuses for meditation. First, see the humility of Jesus as He washes the disciples’ feet. Second, ponder the mystery of evil when Judas betrayed Jesus. Third, reflect upon the institution of the Most Holy Eucharist.
Reflection: Prayerfully read through both versions of the Last Supper listed above and then use the following points for meditation on John’s version if useful:
- The Last Supper was the first and most immediate step in the suffering and death of Jesus. Though the disciples did not know what was about to happen, Jesus did. As you begin John 13, try to meditatively see yourself present at this supper.
- Consider Peter’s reaction. Ponder his words. What would you have said? See your feet being washed by Jesus.
- Reflect upon Judas. What was going through his mind? Imagine Jesus, Who knew of Judas’ betrayal. Imagine the moment of Jesus washing the feet of Judas, knowing full well what Judas had done.
- Think about Jesus as He thought about His disciples. He knew what they would soon endure as they saw Him arrested, abused and murdered before their very eyes.
- In verse 31 of John’s version, Jesus says, “Now is the Son of man glorified…” Take time to reflect upon that “glory.” See His pending cross as the throne. How else was this act of violence considered “glory” in Jesus’ mind?
- How can your crosses and sufferings be transformed into glory?
- Consider again Matthew 26:26–29. This was the first holy Sacrifice of the Mass. The first Eucharist. Prayerfully ponder the Eucharist with these three considerations: 1) Every time you attend Mass you are mystically but truly present for Jesus’ entire passion, for His Last Supper, Crucifixion and Resurrection. 2) Every time you receive Holy Communion you receive the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of the Son of God. 3) Every time you kneel before the Blessed Sacrament you kneel before God Almighty in a veiled form. But it’s God. The same God in Heaven Who is adored and glorified by the angels and saints.
- Life Decisions and Resolutions
- Palm Sunday
- Leading up to Holy Thursday
- Last Supper
- Agony in the Garden
- Jesus is Arrested and Brought Before Annas
- Jesus is Brought Before Caiaphas
- Jesus is Brought Before Pilate
- Jesus is Brought Before Herod
- Second Trial by Pilate
- Jesus Carries His Cross and is Crucified
- Jesus Speaks From the Cross
- Jesus Dies on the Cross
- Jesus’ Body in the Arms of His Mother
- Jesus is Buried
- Holy Saturday