Scripture Reading: Prayerfully read some or all of the following passages:
Context: Matthew, Mark and Luke give the account of the betrayal of Judas with a kiss, Jesus’ arrest by the soldiers, and Peter striking the soldier with a sword, cutting off his ear to then be healed by Jesus. John adds the denial of Jesus by Peter and the interrogation by Annas, the first high priest to question Jesus prior to sending him to Caiaphas. Though Annas was not the current reigning high priest (Caiaphas was), he clearly was involved in this plot.
The arrest was done in the middle of the night in secrecy. Though the disciples scattered, Peter follows from a distance and makes his first denial of Jesus while Jesus was being interrogated by Annas.
Reflection: Ponder the scene prayerfully using the following points if useful.
- Reflect on the scene. Jesus had just celebrated the Passover with His disciples, including Judas, washing his feet and giving him His sacred Body and Blood for the first time in the Eucharist. Jesus then spent an hour in prayer as He waited for Judas to betray Him.
- Imagine the anxiety and conflict within Judas. Why would he do this? Imagine him coming to Jesus and kissing Him as the sign of his betrayal. Jesus said to him, “Judas, would you betray the Son of man with a kiss?”
- Peter defends Jesus by striking with a sword, but Jesus resolves to embrace His passion saying, “Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels?” Ponder the humility of Jesus Who could have called on the angels of Heaven but, instead, submitted to this plot for the sake of the salvation of the world.
- Reflect upon the cruelty of the soldiers as they chained Jesus, the Son of God, and treated Him as a criminal.
- Look at the disciples as they scattered and were filled with fear.
- Jesus is then led to the former high priest Annas while Peter waited outside, denying he knew Jesus for the first time.
- John 18:19–24 records Jesus’ conversation with Annas. Ponder the evil of Annas and the courage of Jesus during this interrogation.
- Life Decisions and Resolutions
- Palm Sunday
- Leading up to Holy Thursday
- Last Supper
- Agony in the Garden
- Jesus is Arrested and Brought Before Annas
- Jesus is Brought Before Caiaphas
- Jesus is Brought Before Pilate
- Jesus is Brought Before Herod
- Second Trial by Pilate
- Jesus Carries His Cross and is Crucified
- Jesus Speaks From the Cross
- Jesus Dies on the Cross
- Jesus’ Body in the Arms of His Mother
- Jesus is Buried
- Holy Saturday