Lesson: As night fell, the Sabbath had arrived. No further care of Jesus’ body could be done on the Sabbath. Holy Saturday was a day of great silence, sorrow and hope.
The guards remained in vigil before the tomb. Jesus’ followers remained in hiding, fearful and confused. Jesus was gone. What were they to think and do? Perhaps some, especially our Blessed Mother, held out faith and hope in His promise to rise on the third day.
Reflection: The Liturgy is not celebrated on Holy Saturday. It is a day of silence and hope. In this short meditation, try to reflect upon the various experiences of those who were so deeply involved and affected by the death of Jesus.
Slowly ponder Pilate, the soldiers, the chief priests, scribes and Pharisees. Contrast them with the disciples, the holy women, our Blessed Mother and all who knew of Jesus and had hoped in Him.
- Life Decisions and Resolutions
- Palm Sunday
- Leading up to Holy Thursday
- Last Supper
- Agony in the Garden
- Jesus is Arrested and Brought Before Annas
- Jesus is Brought Before Caiaphas
- Jesus is Brought Before Pilate
- Jesus is Brought Before Herod
- Second Trial by Pilate
- Jesus Carries His Cross and is Crucified
- Jesus Speaks From the Cross
- Jesus Dies on the Cross
- Jesus’ Body in the Arms of His Mother
- Jesus is Buried
- Holy Saturday